Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Really 11 days....

I can't believe its been 11 days since I have updated the blog.  Sorry.  

Let me back track... 

on 1/17 Jason had a quick trip to the Raab Clinic.  He was tired but slept it off.  He was scheduled to go back on 24th.  He starts the visit with lab work to make sure his counts are not too low. 

Low counts can indicate serious side effects, including fatigue, bruising, and vulnerability to infection -- and can also mean that treatment must be postponed while his body heals.  Complete blood counts, or CBCs, are routinely performed during chemotherapy and other cancer treatments to check the number of each type of blood cell circulating in the body.

White blood cells, or neutrophils, fight infection; red blood cells, also known as erythrocytes, pick up oxygen in the lungs and carry it to the tissues. CBCs note any shortage of red blood cells, which is the definition of anemia and leads to low oxygen levels in the blood. In addition, CBCs count platelets, which are components of red blood cells that enable blood to clot.
  • Low red blood count = fatigue, low energy
  • Low platelets = bruising and bleeding
  • Low white blood count = susceptibility to infection
Well with that said, his counts were low.  He was borderline neutropenic.  I freaked as normal.  I had a wicked cold and was afraid it was my fault.  He had to postpone treatment a week, which brings us to today. 

We arrived for the labs and sat there for an hour!  We knew something was not right.  The charge nurse came out and told us that Jay was still low and they were waiting for the doctor to make his decision but she thought it meant he would have to postpone again.  

Bummed. 

She called us back, finally.  She told us that the doctor said he could have the chemo today but he had to follow it by a shot of Neupogen.  This is used to decrease the chance of infection and it works by helping the body make more neutrophils.  He will receive this everyday till the 6th.  I hope it helps.  He is home, fed and now crashed out on the couch next to me.

We did have to shave Jason's head this weekend.  He started out with just bald patches so we shaved it down a little but then it just started having really bad bald spots so we bic'd it.

I know some of you asked what kind of chemo he was on, well he is one 3 different types.

*Cisplatinetoposide bleomycin (yup say those 3x each)

His schedule goes like this 
Days 1,2,3,4,5 Cisplatin & Etoposide
Day 2, 9 & 16 Bleomycin 

I just wanted to thank everyone for the cards, gift cards, dinner, offers to come help.  I have thank you cards for everyone... I promise to send out this year! 

XOXOX ~Elizabeth 


    

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Glad you explained all that...I was a bit lost when you mentioned it! Let me know if you need anything!