Sunday, February 10, 2008

One yr later....

Ok .. so as most of you already know I had Gastric Bypass surgery on February 6, 2007. I had the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RGB)This operation is the most common and successful combined weight loss surgery in the United States. First, the surgeon creates a small stomach pouch to restrict food intake. Next, a Y-shaped section of the small intestine is attached to the pouch to allow food to bypass the lower stomach, the duodenum (the first segment of the small intestine), and the first portion of the jejunum (the second segment of the small intestine). This reduces the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs.


It has been a trying year, with learning new things, coming to grips with it mentally, and I am not even completely 100% gripped yet. It is a physical change along with mental and emotional. But I survived and most importantly my family survived. I have lost 72% of my excess weight. I am down 7 sizes in pants. My BMI went from 44 to 31 and still going down. I went from a 3x shirt to xl which is a HUGE deal, that means I can shop where NORMAL girls shop.

I am truly happy that I did this and I know I could not have done this without Jason by my side. I was afraid and still kind of am to admit that I had to do this.. only because I felt like I failed at loosing it myself. But I have a great support of family and friends that have backed me up with this!

Sorry the pictures are not better ...the 1st one is my hospital picture. This is the awful picture that is on the front of my folder at the hospital...so ashamed. The next picture is me...-80lbs down and one year from picture #1. I still have 30 more to lose but its a work in progress





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening Elizabeth,
Yes, it has been a year. I remember your Florida visit last March and all the trials and errors of your diet. It must have been a year of hell. Congratulations on a job well done. You look marvelous!!!! and i'm sure you feel Great!! Hay, do you know that I also like to sleep in as dark a space as possible. Yes, a "Bat Cave". Must be a "Bitler Thing". Congratulations on your successful weight loss and looking so beautiful!!
Love,
FL Dad

I made it...Melissa RN said...

You look fabuous!! Congrats on coming so far..I know it hasn't always been easy. Love you always no matter what you look like!

Amber said...

You are a beautiful woman, inside and out. I can't wait to get to know you even better. I think you are one cool chick.

<3

The Little Wife said...

You look amazing. What a transformation. You always looked beautiful though. Don't forget that! I hope you are feeling much healthier and enjoying the new you. Can't wait to see you next weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy & proud of you!

Jana M. said...

My beautiful friend! I'm so proud of you. *clink clink* Here's to a fabulous year to come!!!

xoxo

Sambalina said...

You look fabulous! :)

Anonymous said...

Liz, I am so proud that you took the steps YOU wanted to take. I think it takes one amazing woman to not only have the surgery you did, but pull it off as gracely as you did. Having two children is hard enough, without surgery. You know I love you and think you're doing a great job!